About the Company
Brightpearl exists to automate retail. We help omnichannel businesses selling finished goods, trading $2.5m-$50m a year. Over 1,200 businesses in 26 countries use our platform. We manage over 10m transactions and $2b of business a year. Brightpearl is a cloud platform, built on AWS with 99.9% uptime, and is deployed twice as fast as the competition. Brightpearl is headquartered in Bristol, UK and our US headquarters in Austin, Texas. We are looking for talented system administrators to join our engineering team.
About the Role
As a System Administrator, you will:
- Work in a global team to roll out new features, oversee frequent releases to production and help improve our SaaS infrastructure using modern configuration management tools.
- Work closely with other administrators, engineers, product managers, customers and partners.
- Assist customer support in finding and fixing database/server level problems that affect our customers.
- Provide on-call assistance to maintain service availability.
- Monitor and maintain our MySQL databases, MongoDB stores, RabbitMQ messaging infrastructure, Hazelcast caching grid, Java services, Go services, PHP(Apache) applications, node.js services and supporting servers across multiple AWS datacenters.
- Develop expertise in diverse technical and business domains.
- Have the opportunity to grow into team or technical leadership roles.
- Help maintain office IT infrastructure.
This role is based around standard CST working hours (9am-6pm) but, as with all Systems Administrator roles, some flexibility is required.
- Five working days per week.
- You will be part of a paid on-call rotation to respond to technical incidents outside of office hours (up to 12am)
To be considered for this role, you should:
- Experience as a Linux System Administrator.
- Experience with high-volume, high availability systems.
- Understanding of running and tuning an RDBMS (preferably MySQL).
- Exposure to modern CM tools (preferably Chef).
- Familiarity with scripting in Bash or equivalent.
- Understanding of network infrastructure, protocols and components.
- Experience working alongside development teams (preferably in a DevOps environment).
- Be a good communicator.
- Remain calm when working under pressure.
- Enjoy variety in your work and be willing to pick up new tools, technologies and techniques.
- Hold a technical degree.
- Have a low tolerance for un-automated (manual) tasks.
- Experience with AWS administration.
- Ruby scripting skills.
- Experience with the Continuous Delivery style of software development.
We offer a competitive salary, plus a whole host of great benefits like 20 days of PTO + 12 paid holidays, share options, 100% paid medical, dental and vision.